Saturday, September 29, 2018

Triumph of Synchronicity

Scrolling through Facebook this morning, I was reminded that Manowar's album Triumph of Steel was released 26 years ago today. The personal significance of this, besides making me feel a bit old, is that the anniversary of its release has made me realize that I've begun to come full circle back to when I first got this album in 1996/7.


When I was a teen in the mid-nineties, my exposure to the metal world was mostly to the  Thrash/Speed sub-genre. Since the internet wasn't what it is today, we relied on obtaining information and exposure from other people, MTV, VH1, Metal Edge magazine, interviews, special releases and boxed sets, as well as first hand experiences shared by word of mouth. Being introverted, shy, and a teen with very minimal funding, my exposure to other bands and genres were quite limited.

Fortunately, I began to frequent a used record store in town. Behind the counter was a middle-aged hippie that really knew his stuff. I loved going to this store because he was so helpful, honest, and knowledgeable about everything. I had picked up Triumph of Steel based on the cover art, as I had never [knowingly] heard Manowar before. The powerful imagery of an anonymous long-haired man wielding hammer and sword before a bevy of women somehow seemed like it represented the type of shit I wanted to listen to. Who knows why, it just was. After admiring the artwork, reading the song list, and probably having been permitted a quick listen, I bought the album.

Now, I could easily write page upon page of why I love about power metal, but I know your time is precious, so my narration needs to remain limited. In a nutshell, it suits everything I love about music, fantasy, history reference, art, and probably more. Unlike the stereotypical impression people have about metal, I find it incredibly uplifting, fun, empowering, and sexy. The music itself is well orchestrated, and often accompanied by strong, flawless vocal skill covering wide ranges, which is absolutely thrilling to hear.

Because, as I've mentioned, information was less accessible than it is today, I didn't get to know much about Ken Kelly (the album artist) until many years later. But in high school, the artwork made me dream of what it would be like to paint something so extraordinary. For a short time I entertained the idea of pursuing a similar profession, but quickly gave it up because, at fifteen, I had neither the skill or the confidence to achieve such a thing. I didn't have any clue how to chase that dream and didn't expect I'd find support either. So I dropped it. Over the next decade or so, my art was largely what people asked me to do or what I thought others would like. And while I liked the subjects, I never felt the passion that I feel when looking at Kelly or Frank Frazetta's work.

In the past two years or so, things have begun to change. I stepped out of my artistic comfort zone, and exposed my "darker" side. Unsurprisingly, my family didn't appreciate it much. However, my classmates at the university and my friends responded really well. That gave me the push I needed to sail in the direction that had apparently been in my heart for so long. I also felt that I just might finally have enough skill (or the ability to learn it) to work towards the art style I wanted to do when I was a teen. I know I will never be happy until I am doing the type of artwork I love and feel proud of. That phase of my life is just beginning, and I expect it will take some time, given that I don't have much opportunity to do anything other than schoolwork. But I have hope, and that's the first step.

There are of course many other synchronicity associated with Manowar; namely the concept of Brotherhood, warriors, the historical influences, the fantasy play, and even things surrounding society's perceptions of gender roles and cultural identity (I'm sure radical feminists would have a field day tearing apart Manowar, but clearly it doesn't bother me or diminish my appreciation.). Ironically, these themes are all applicable to my academic focus. I know Manowar especially can be a bit cliché or theatrical at times, but I'm a dork and I enjoy getting lost in the fantasy, so whatever. C'est ce que c'est.

I cannot fully express the value metal holds for me in general: how it has kept me afloat and continues to inspire. If I'm having a bad day, it lifts me up. If I'm having a good day, it makes it even better. I don't know where I'd be without music. If I were to become deaf, I would go insane and probably never paint again. So I am grateful to all the incredible musicians that exist, have existed, and will exist in the future, both in and outside of metal.

#mmmmbassists #sexyat60 #leatherpants4ever #godshelpme ;)